I haven't been home in three years: Deepika Padukone

• Work-from-home

Prince-Farry

TM Champ
Mar 19, 2008
I haven't been home in three years: Deepika Padukone

Mumbai, (IANS) Her popularity and hectic schedule have kept Bollywood's current heartthrob Deepika Padukone away from home for three years. She's finally looking forward to being in Bangalore with her family for Ganesh Chaturthi.

"I'm going home after three years. It feels really good," Deepika, who hit the jackpot with her debut film "Om Shanti Om", told IANS.

"I've either been shooting out of the country or just been busy in Mumbai. It's been a really hectic time for me. I haven't been to my home in Bangalore for three years," she added.

Ganesh Chaturthi, which celebrates the birth of Hindu god Ganesh, falls on Sep 3 and Deepika is just waiting to spend some quality time with family during the festive season.

"Ganesh Chaturthi is a very big event in my home in Bangalore. It's a time when my entire family, including my sister, comes together... Or whatever remains of the family in Bangalore. A lot of my relatives are now in the US. I've missed the occasion for the past three years. So I can't help it. I've to go home now.

"Am I religious? I don't go to the temple every day. But my god is right here in my heart. I believe in a force. And that keeps me grounded," said the actress whose second film with beau Ranbir Kapoor "Bachna Ae Haseeno" too hit the bull's eye.

While Deepika chose acting as her profession, younger sister Alisha is a professional golfer.

"My sister is five years younger to me. I sometimes envy my sister. She has gone into sports, like my father. And she gets to play golf professionally. That's a unique position for a 19-year-old to be in. Acting seems rather ordinary in comparison."

But Deeepika's sister has also got an offer to act in a Kannada film recently.

"That's right, she has been offered a Kannada film. But she's absolutely not interested in a film career. One actress in the family is enough," she laughed.

So what's the one role that's on Deepika's wish list?

"I'd love to do a sports film. Not necessarily my dad's game badminton but any sport except cricket. I feel too much priority is given to cricket in our country. I'm so glad that films on other sports like hockey and football are being made. I'd love to do a film based on badminton."

But unconventional roles are surely coming Deepika's way without asking.

"When I was told that in 'Bachna Ae Haseeno' I had to play an Indian cab driver in Australia who doesn't believe in marriage, I said I had to do this even if there were two other girls in the story. Luckily for me I got along like a house on fire with Bipasha Basu and Minissha Lamba. Even if I hadn't, I'd still have enjoyed doing the role thoroughly. And not because Ranbir was in it," she said.

The actress will be seen next in "Chandni Chowk to China" with Akshay Kumar.

Reactions: nrbhayo