One Day International Player of the Year Award

• Work-from-home

Don

Administrator
Mar 15, 2007
Toronto, Ca
One Day International Player of the Year Award

Michael Hussey - 2006 One-Day Player

Australia ’s batting phenomenon Michael Hussey was named as the winner of the ODI Player of the Year in Mumbai.

The fast-scoring middle-order batsman has had an outstanding year in both forms of the game and in ODIs he is currently averaging over 75 and scores his runs at a strike rate of close to a run a ball.

Accepting his award, Hussey said: "I’m very, very shocked and honoured. I can’t believe it – I need to pinch myself.

“Being a little older when I broke through to the team I definitely haven’t taken anything for granted. I play each game as if it’s my last but I just love playing cricket for Australia. I really enjoy coming in when the team is in a bit of trouble and trying to rescue the situation, batting with the lower order.

“I’d like to thank my family and my team-mates who I love playing for. It’s a great feeling to win this award, especially when I think of the quality of the other nominees."

ICC President Percy Sonn said: “On behalf of the ICC I would like to congratulate Michael on winning this award.

“Michael’s enthusiasm and exciting batting style has thrilled crowds and television audiences alike and in a very short space of time has made him one of Australia’s most influential players.”

During the voting period Hussey played 25 One-Day Internationals and enjoyed a spectacular level of success. In those matches he scored 769 runs at an average of 64.8.

Hussey beat off the challenge of team-mate Ricky Ponting, India’s Yuvraj Singh and Mahela Jayawardene of Sri Lanka to secure the award.

Hussey is the third recipient of this award. Last year, England’s Kevin Pietersen took the honour and in 2004 it went to Pietersen’s England colleague Andrew Flintoff.

Voting for the ODI Player of the Year was completed by the 56-member ICC Awards voting Academy who cast a 3-2-1 vote (3 votes being the greater value) from the list of nominees, with the votes tallied to produce a winner.

The voting Academy included the 10 ICC Full Member captains, the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Referees, the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires and many other legends of the game and respected members of the media.

Hussey received the trophy from Tony Greig, the former England captain, respected broadcaster and a member of the Voting Academy.

The trophy, produced by Swarovski, features a crystal cricket ball studded with over 4200 Swarovski crystal chantons, cusped in a hand which extends from an aluminium base.

The hand represents the theme of “breaking through” in pursuit of excellence.

The trophy features a white crystal ball, weighs 1.2 kilograms, is 30 centimetres high and 11 centimetres in width.